RTOC Budget Workgroup Call 3/22 9am

NaepcA1
Site Admin

RTOC Budget Workgroup Call 3/22 9am

Post by NaepcA1 »

The RTOC Budget Workgroup will have a conference call on 3/22 at 9AM Pacific. The purpose of the call is to help with the further development of the budget discussion at RTOC. Here is the call in information:

Dial-In Number: (866) 299-3188
Conference Code: 4159723741

As you know, we have now entered a different realm in looking at budget questions with the EPA. The model we have used in the past is now influx so instead of doing a presentation back and forth between Tribes and the EPA we are looking to have small group discussions to assist us in moving toward a more effective strategy during this time. On the call we will discuss the ideas presented to start the ideas flowing so that we can have a robust conversation at RTOC. Below was a framework that the budget workgroup leads (Laura and I) thought would help us in having fruitful conversations at RTOC for developing some next steps.

Alan Bacock
Big Pine Paiute Tribe of the Owens Valley
World Café Discussion Prompts
1. What ideas do we have for strategies to influence EPA budgets for tribal programs? (10:45 – 11:05 AM)
a. Identify a specific instance when we influenced budgetary or programmatic decisions at EPA.
i. In small groups, discuss: What was the advocacy process? Who was doing the advocating (e.g. NTC, individual tribes, other groups)? What form did the advocacy take?
b. Thinking about the communication ideas from the Stephen Groaner training, what do we know about what the current AAs and Agency Administration cares about? Region 9 Division Directors will provide some of their thoughts on the key values and motivators for political leadership.
i. In small groups, discuss: What information or advocacy methods would speak to those motivations?
c. As a large group, report out: Using those lessons learned, what ideas do we have for strategies that would speak to those motivations and help influence budgetary or programmatic decisions? NTC Representatives and EPA Management Team will provide their thoughts on those ideas. (11:05 – 11:20 AM)
2. How can we put these strategies into action? (11:20 – 11:45 AM)
a. Region 9 Division Directors will provide their thoughts on tangible actions tribes can take to further their positions.
b. With what we’ve identified as effective strategies that would speak to the motivations of decision makers and the timing of the current budget cycle, think about the tangible outputs (meetings, materials, letters, etc.) the Tribal Caucus could produce or implement to influence the process.
i. In small groups, discuss: Which of these outputs do we want to produce or implement in the next 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?
ii. In small groups, discuss: What are the five key actions that would help us reach that 3-month goal?
3. As a large group, report out: Next steps- what are the key actions we need to undertake in the next 3 months? Who will do what and by when? (11:45 AM – 12:00 PM)