Natural Resource Manager

NaepcA1
Site Admin

Natural Resource Manager

Post by NaepcA1 »

SUMMARY

The Soboba Natural Resource Manager is responsible for planning, coordinating and directing the operation, maintenance and servicing of the potable water production, treatment, storage and distribution systems, facilities and equipment. This position administers Soboba natural resource programs to ensure the implementation of Soboba’s water settlement, safe drinking water, wastewater treatment, and water quality; solid waste disposal; collaboration with Soboba departments, state and federal governmental entities to protect Soboba’s natural resources. The work of this position is complex and involves significant accountability and decision-making responsibilities.

DUTIES

i.Responsible for the development of Soboba’s natural resources plans and policies including tribal natural and environmental resources as well as mapping of tribal lands to assist in the Tribe’s overall land use master planning, and strategies to protect and conserve its natural resources.

i.Implement natural resource and water management plans, establish a tribal frame work that will guide the establishing of natural resource laws, ordinances, and regulations.

i.Participates in the development and implementation of strategies and plans to ensure all major water production, treatment, storage and distribution systems, equipment and facilities are operable during peak water use periods.

i.Prepares special and recurring studies and reports; develops recommendations to improve the operation of the Tribes water production, treatment, storage, transmission and distribution systems and facilities; coordinates activities with other departments and agencies.

i.Ensures compliance of unit work to pertinent codes, regulations and guidelines.

i.Reviews and coordinates with appropriate personnel the implementation of local, state and federal laws and regulations regarding water production, treatment, storage, transmission and distribution.

i.Researches and monitors technical developments in techniques, equipment, supplies and material used in the production, treatment, storage, transmission and distribution of potable water.

i.Develop and implement water quality monitoring programs, develop water quality standards and criteria, and work toward obtaining Treatment as State (TAS) status from the EPA.

i.Develop and implement solid waste programs including recycling, composting, and household hazardous waste collection programs.

i.Participates in the analysis of trends such as population growth and the development of strategies to meet and serve expanding community needs.

i.Review and comment on Tribal environmental compliance documents developed to meet National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Forest Practice Act (FPA), National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), and Tribal Gaming Compact Environmental Ordinance requirements to ensure that the Tribe is adequately disclosing and mitigating for potential effects of proposed projects.

i.Inspects operations and projects to ensure conformance with standards and specifications.

i.Participates in the development and implementation of enhancements, modifications, upgrades and improvements to the distribution system’s Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA).

i.Ensures the Tribes safety program and goals are implemented and carried out in the Water Operations Division; develops and proposes safety requirements to be carried out on the Reservation. Reviews design plans and specifications for water system facilities to ensure conformance with operations and maintenance needs.

i.Gather information and available maps to develop Geographic Information Systems (GIS) databases of tribal resources including: natural, environmental, and cultural resources on tribal lands and to assist the tribal government with master, strategic, and land use planning.

i.Develop environmental, land use, and water management plans for tribal properties and assist with other tribal planning efforts where needed.

i.Administer any federal or state grants awarded to the Tribe and assure required reports on a timely basis including financial and progress reports required by grant funding sources as well as monthly reports to the Tribal Administrator.

i.Seek funding to enhance and maintain the Tribe’s natural resource protection and infrastructure, cultural resource program, and wildlife and habitat restoration programs to continue to protect tribal natural, cultural, and environmental resources.

i.Assist Legal in drafting tribal environmental and natural resource codes.

i.Provides day-to-day leadership and work with staff to ensure a high performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving the department’s and the Tribes mission, strategic plan, objectives and values.

i.Train, supervise and evaluate personnel, in a timely manner, in order to assure Tribal program requirements are met.

i.Work with Federal, State, local and tribal agencies and organization to protect, restore, and enhance traditionally important wildlife and botanical resources (first foods and plants).

i.Implement habitat improvement projects to restore riparian and other native habitats on tribal lands.

i.Other duties as assigned.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

Knowledge of:
Principles, methods, practices, techniques and equipment common to the operation and maintenance of a large, complex water treatment, storage, transmission and distribution system; local, state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of a potable water system, including the Safe Drinking Water Act and EPA regulations; administrative principles and methods including goal setting, program development and implementation, employee supervision; principles and practices of budget preparation and administration; methods, practices, tools and equipment common to the construction and public works related trades and crafts; safety regulations, safe work practices and safety equipment related to the work; codes, regulations and guidelines pertaining to the work; micro-computer applications related to the work; principles and practices of effective management and supervision.

Ability to:
Analyze and make sound recommendations on complex management and administrative issues; Plan, assign, direct and coordinate a variety of functional specialties with overlapping work areas; manage and direct a large water distribution program; select, motivate and evaluate staff and provide for their training and development; prepare, administer and monitor a budget; analyze complex operational and administrative problems, evaluate alternatives and recommend or implement effective courses of action; develop and implement goals, objectives, policies, procedures, work standards and management controls; prepare clear and concise records, reports, correspondence and other written materials; communicate ideas clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; maintain effective working relationships with Tribal Leaders, staff and other governmental personnel encountered in the course of the work.

Training and Experience:
A typical way of obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above is graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Natural Resources, Environmental Science, civil engineering, chemistry, microbiology, public or business administration, or a closely related field; and at least 8 years of supervisory or administrative experience in the operation of a water production, treatment, storage and transmission system; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.

Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements

•A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the Tribes Vehicle Insurance Policy.
•A State of California Water Distribution Operator Certificate, Grade IV (D4),Grade IV (D4) in Sewer; and a State of California Water Treatment Operator Certificate, Grade II (T2).
•All applicants are required to complete the pre-screen Background Clearance and Drug Testing

PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS

Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this position, an employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear; walk or sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.

Mental Demands
While performing the duties of this position, an employee is regularly required to use written and oral communications skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; use mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; deal with changing, intensive deadlines; and interact with officials and the public

Publication Date
Mon Aug 19, 2013
City
San Jacinto
State
CALIFORNIA
Country
UNITED STATES
Application Deadline
Fri Aug 30, 2013
Salary
$8000 per mo DOE